Welcome to my OCPA blog.
I am an English lawyer and have previously worked for a large firm of solicitors, specialising in mortgages and property litigation and some aspects of consumer credit. I have an MA in law and I am currently retraining as a barrister.
Unaccustomed to being back as a “full time” student I used my free time to research the origin of some of the more eccentric green ink letters I received from various borrowers during my legal work.
My research quickly took me into the mysterious world of Organised Pseudolegal Commercial Argument litigants (“OPCA litigants”). In particular Get out of debt free a website run by Jon Witterick and Mark “Ceylon” Haining which is well worth a look if you want an insight into the UK based freeman movement. getoutofdebtfree.org
Who are OPCA litigants?
Meads v Meads 2012 ABQB 571 is the starting point for defining and categorising OPCA litigants, albeit from a Canadian perspective. One of the defining features of the “movement” is it’s diversity. In my brief experience of OPCA litigants and forums I have seen a huge range of political views and varying degrees of extremism.
Some common factors can be gleaned from the complexity including but not limited to:
- The belief that “common law” is superior or of greater validity than statute law
- That assertion that all law is contractual or commercial in nature and thus requires “consent” or is invalid or unenforceable
- Courts operate under commercial or maritime / admiralty law and /or are for-profit companies.
- The “Strawman theory” that the “flesh and blood human being” can be separated from a separate legal personality who is liable for an individual’s debts, liabilities, taxes and legal responsibilities
- Belief that an individuals birth certificate is used by the government to create a secret “bond” or account containing money which can be claimed
- The use of “fee schedules” to bill companies or government bodies for infringement of demands
- A unconventional interpretation of statutes, case law and legal terms to mean something entirely different to how it is normally understood
A more complete list of OCPA characteristics is available on Rational Wiki
What is this blog for?
This blog exists primarily for my own entertainment and as a repository for my thoughts and observation on UK based OCPA litigants. If my postings allow people in legal or financial difficulties to think twice about following some of the OCPA legal strategies then all the better but my intention is not to merely debunk the legal validity of the theories (as that had been comprehensibly done elsewhere) but discuss fairly complex aspects of law in an accessible way which might help some people or at least inspire debate.